Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Tribute Album - Good or bad idea ?

Magnus Holmgren magnus.holmgren@mbox201.swipnet.se
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:18:03 +0100

Workers,

I'm (as usual) way behind on my Powderworks mail so this is a bit old...

Vince wrote:

> Hearing SFK's Dreamworld, Frenzal's TDH, Bodyjar's Borderline and Waylayd's
> Hercules (which is almost an exact replica instrumentally speaking) was
> great. Their versions were true to the originals and were tastefully
> covered.
>
> On the other hand, I found that the Gurge's Stand in line, McCormack's P&TP
> and Augie March's Beds, gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I know they
> each have their own style, but think they showed a degree of self indulgence
> & disrespect in their "tributes" to the Oils' tracks they covered.

I feel the other way around. The versions that are "true" to the originals do nothing to me. Some of the bands even try to copy the guitar solos, what's the purpose of that? Is it a way of showing off to the Oils? "hear, we can play as good as you guys, aren't we great?"

Trying to find a new angle to a song and treating it a little differently is IMHO showing great respect to a song and it's artist. I like to see it as a tribute to the songs, not a tribute to the way the Oils perform them.

Regurgitator's version of "Stand In Line" is very impressive and makes me want to find out more about the band.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Good Whatever

Lucky Bastard