Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] Been Away Too Long

Laura Wolfe Laura Wolfe" <casalobo@lightspeed.net
Fri, 3 May 2002 16:52:44 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1F2C2.F2287740

To those of you who've seen the Oils in the past week, during which =
they've been opening their set with "Been Away Too Long":

How does that song work as an opening number?  Is the title getting =
across clearly as the band's admission that they have indeed "been away =
too long"?

I ask because I am responsible/to blame (choose one, based on whether =
you're glad "BATL" is in the set) for this song being played at all.  =
Rob and I go back to 1984, correspond, talk on the phone a couple times =
a year (he called me from the hotel after the Maine show on 4/25), etc.  =
Before the L.A. show at the HOB, I mentioned that I was hoping they =
would play "BATL," since it was a great, rocking song, immediately =
accessible to those who've never heard it before, and lyrically very =
appropriate after being away for so long.  He said he thought that was a =
good idea and maybe they would add it to the set that night (they =
didn't, for which Rob "apologized" after the show, no worries). =20

I suggested opening with "Bullroarer" or "Mosquito March" (which I think =
are better openers than "Redneck Wonderland"), and playing "BATL" =
second.  Then, when they stop for a momentary breather to greet the =
crowd, Peter can say something that ties in to the title, etc.  I'm not =
sure what I think of it as an opening number.  So how does it come off =
live?

I also pressed Rob to include "Concrete" or "Comfortable Place on the =
Couch" (i.e., play more from the RW album), so I'm glad to see =
"Concrete" is back in the set.  That song "free[s] my soul."  Finally, =
if you were at the LA HOB show on 3/21 and enjoyed hearing "Power and =
the Passion" during the first encore, thank my wife for that.  That is =
always her only request of Rob and he usually comes through with it for =
her/us (it helps that he frequently drafts the setlist).  OK, enough =
"bragging." =20

Here's the reward for putting up with this message: if you trade live =
CDs and want a copy of my excellent minidisc recording of the LA 3/21/02 =
show, send me your trading list (OFFLIST, not to Powderworks, please!), =
and I'll try to work something out for you.  I may be able to send you =
the artwork done by my friend bART (get it?) as jpegs in an email =
attachment.  I am interested in many other bands beside Midnight Oil, so =
feel free to send a non-Oil list.  Don't forget to include your mailing =
address.

I will choose five people to trade with.  At that point, I suggest they =
"weed" this show out to the rest of the list.  That means offering the =
show up for free to two or three people, who agree to re-weed it to =
another few people, and so forth.  This is the fastest way to get a show =
out there.  This method of distribution is used widely on prog_cdr, =
yesswap, the plantation (flower kings' list) and other prog-related =
lists to which I belong. Those who give away a show for free benefit =
later when they are the recipient of someone else's weed; it's all about =
generosity and karma.  We should try weeding around here as a way of =
sharing Oil shows.

Bill Wolfe

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1F2C2.F2287740

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To those of you who've seen the Oils in =
the past=20
week, during which they've been opening their set with "Been Away Too=20
Long":</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How does that song work as an opening =
number?&nbsp;=20
Is the title getting across clearly as the band's admission that they =
have=20
indeed "been away too long"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I ask because I am responsible/to blame =
(choose=20
one, based on whether you're glad "BATL" is in the set) for this song =
being=20
played at all.&nbsp; Rob and I go back to 1984, correspond, talk on the =
phone a=20
couple times a year (he called me from the hotel after the Maine show on =
4/25),=20
etc.&nbsp; Before the L.A. show at the HOB, I mentioned that I was =
hoping they=20
would play "BATL," since it was a great, rocking song, immediately =
accessible to=20
those who've never heard it before, and lyrically very appropriate after =
being=20
away for so long.&nbsp; He said he thought that was a good idea and =
maybe=20
they&nbsp;would add it to the set that night (they didn't, for which Rob =

"apologized" after the show, no worries).&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I suggested opening with "Bullroarer" =
or "Mosquito=20
March"&nbsp;(which I think&nbsp;are better&nbsp;openers =
than&nbsp;"Redneck=20
Wonderland"), and playing "BATL" second.&nbsp; Then, when they stop for =
a=20
momentary breather to greet the crowd, Peter can say something that ties =
in to=20
the title, etc.&nbsp; I'm not sure what I think of it as an opening=20
number.&nbsp; So how does it come off live?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I also pressed Rob to include =
"Concrete" or=20
"Comfortable Place on the Couch" (i.e., play more from the RW album), so =
I'm=20
glad to see "Concrete" is back in the set.&nbsp; That song "free[s] my=20
soul."&nbsp; Finally, if you were at the LA HOB show on 3/21 and enjoyed =
hearing=20
"Power and the Passion" during the first encore, thank my wife for =
that.&nbsp;=20
That is always her only request of Rob and he usually comes through with =
it for=20
her/us (it helps that he frequently drafts the setlist).&nbsp; OK, =
enough=20
"bragging."&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here's the reward for putting up with =
if you trade live CDs and want a copy of my excellent minidisc recording =
of the=20
LA 3/21/02 show, send me your trading list (OFFLIST, not to Powderworks, =

please!), and I'll try to work something out for you.&nbsp; I may be =
able to=20
send you the artwork done by my friend bART (get it?) as jpegs in an =
email=20
attachment.&nbsp; I am interested in many other bands beside Midnight =
Oil, so=20
feel free to send a non-Oil list.&nbsp; Don't forget to include your =
mailing=20
address.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I will choose <U>five people</U> to =
trade=20
with.&nbsp; At that point, I suggest they "weed" this show out to the =
rest of=20
the list.&nbsp; That means offering the show up for free to two or three =
people,=20
who agree to re-weed it to another few people, and so forth.&nbsp; This =
is the=20
fastest way to get a show out there.&nbsp; This method of distribution =
is used=20
widely on prog_cdr, yesswap, the plantation (flower kings' list) and =
other=20
prog-related lists to which I belong.&nbsp;Those who give away&nbsp;a =
show for=20
free benefit later when they are the recipient of someone else's weed; =
it's all=20
about generosity and karma. &nbsp;We should try weeding around here as a =
way of=20
sharing Oil shows.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Bill Wolfe</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C1F2C2.F2287740--