Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] NMOC: Ned's Atomic Dustbin and New Model Army

Mike Blackwood mikeb@cs.mun.ca
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:46:35 -0230 (NDT)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Mike Blackwood wrote:

I forgot to describe the Neds' music!!!  D'Oh!  They had 2 bass players,
one bass tuned a little high and used to play "lead", one tuned normally
to play rhythm, and a guitar providing counterpoint.  The drummer is
phenomenal too.  The way the 2 basses and the guitar weave in and out of
each other in the songs is kinda like the partnership between Jim and
Martin in the Oils.  The music is generally up-tempo, sometimes thrashy
but always melodic and layered, especially on AYN and BBV.  On the last
album (BBV) there is some sampling and keyboard stuff, and the songs
include some of the heaviest and mellowest Ned's tracks.

Mike