Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] lyrics help?

Matthew Wightwick madboy_92001 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 11 20:49:37 MDT 2004

G'day all,

Phar Lap was to Australian culture what Seabiscuit was
to American culture (at least, if the publicity
surrounding the movie Seabiscuit was any indication).
A racehorse that came out of nowhere to win one
Melbourne Cup, became the favourite to win the next
Melbourne Cup, but had way too much weight put on his
(her? pretty sure Phar Lap was a stallion) back to do
much good.

Died under suspicious circumstances (there are
suggestions that some Americans poisoned his feed).

After his death, his preserved body was placed in a
glass case in the Museum of Victoria next to his large
preserved heart. Hence the line "Phar Lap floating in
a jar" and another famous Australian saying "a heart
the size of Phar Lap's" (often used to refer to
sportspeople).

Cheers,

Matthew W.

 --- sweetapj at bellsouth.net wrote: > I don't know much