Midnight Oil

[Powderworks] PG joins Labor

Phil L. fil at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 9 20:34:13 MDT 2004

tfrommer at mindspring.com wrote:

>Nathan, thanks for the link.
>
>A couple questions for you patient Aussies from a Yank trying to understand this all. Was PG previously a member of another party and that is contributing to some of the outburst about his joining Labor, or were people just *hoping* he would join the Greens?

Pete stood as a Greens candidate in 84(?), however, he was unsuccessful
in getting elected.... Probably due in no small part to the rather small
amount of support the greens actually have at the ballot box... the only
safe seats for the greens are in the upper house, and none of the
sitting senators would be likely to give up their seat for PG...

and of course, if you want your voice heard.... if your in a party with
2 or 3 elected reps like the Greens, then you'll get your voice heard
every now and then, when the government doesnt have the numbers.... by
going with a major party, PG has the chance to actually be in the party
making the decisions... so not only does he have a better chance of
getting elected, he has a better chance of being heard....